Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I'm here!

Hello, my blog readers!
I left Seattle at 8:10 AM, saying goodbye to Mom, Dad, and Aunt, and caught my one-way flight to DC.  I'm calling this my first day of 29th grade, and just like my other first days of school, my sweet Mom packed me a lunch :-)  PB&J and a bag of grapes = perfect!  I think the pilot knew I was anxious to get here so he stepped on the gas a little extra!  We made the trip in just over 4 hours instead of 5.  It was a spectacular descent, coming in over Georgetown University, then over the Potomac River, to the south of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, etc.  I spotted the White House, and the Capitol, and all those good things :-)  What a pretty, magnificent city!
I had to wait a while for a cab to come that had enough room for me & my bags. I weighed them at the counter and one was 35 pounds, one was 33 pounds, and one was 28 pounds.  :-)  The driver delivered me safely to the door of my new home.  A few details later, I had the key and was on my way up to the 15th floor.
It took me what felt like an eternity (over 5 minutes) trying to figure out how to work the fancy electronic key.  When I finally mastered that and stepped in, I was happy, relieved, and a little shocked. Somehow, in my memory, the apartment had grown in size.  This was quite a reality check!  Gulp!  Luckily the views, both during the day and at night, are awesome!
I took some pictures, then headed out to get some basic groceries and necessities (dish soap, paper towels) that I'd forgotten to pack or order online to have shipped.  I found a Safeway very close by, and then took the subway 2 stops to Clarendon.  I meandered my way all the way back from Trader Joes to my place, taking my sweet time and stopping into the Container Store, Crate & Barrel, etc to do some research/planning.  I must maximize use of cupboard space!  I checked and the walk, without stops and my side adventures, was 1.25 miles.  I'm going to get a workout while I wait for my car! :-)
Once back to the apartment, I made myself my first cup of tea and washed my hair, so I would really feel like I was home :-)  I also started measuring all the cabinets and drawers, and used painters tape to plot out where furniture might go.  Decisions, decisions!  I could use a second opinion!

Furniture/boxes should arrive on Saturday, and the car still hasn't been picked up :-(  I guess the driver says he'll be there tomorrow.  He's not quite as organized as my other guy seems to be.  Oh it will be so nice to have a chair to sit on and my stuff! :)
Time to sleep. It's later than I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment