Monday, September 16, 2013

Saturday, I decided to drive up to see a museum that's a bit off the beaten path.  It was a folly-filled adventure, and I'm sure I broke a driving law or two, but at least no accidents happened.  I drove up to one of the many military joints named Walter Reed, and perhaps this museum once existed there (as indicated by the sign outside the big fence that said "museum,") but it certainly doesn't anymore.  In fact, I'm not sure much exists there anymore because all the gates were closed!  It wasn't the nicest part of town, either, so I had a pile of feelings to sort through, plus the stubbornness that I was going to find it.  I gave Siri another chance and this time found my way to the right one, another several stoplights and awful traffic scenarios away.
One of my new pet peeves in life is 2 lane streets where residents are allowed to park in the outer lane!  Who came up with that bright idea?!  It was especially dangerous when there would be a street or two with no cars, so I'd switch back over to that lane, only to have cars parked in my lane another block up!

So why did I want to go to the museum?  I heard there were odd things there, plus the bullet removed from Lincoln's head by the surgeon on the night Lincoln was assassinated.  This museum, by the way is the National Museum of Health and Medicine.

I saw the bullet, a lock of his hair, misc Lincoln-related stuff; this surprisingly significant slab of concrete, and all sorts of specimens of bodily malfunctions.  The saddest were the babies, of course.  Getting back to this slab:  it was part of the floor in a trauma bay at a tent hospital, Balad, during Operation Iraqi Freedom.  They had an astonishing survival rate, and it was all at once both hard & easy to imagine all the carnage that came through this room.

Here are a couple pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment